About Unchained Vibes Africa
Unchained Vibes Africa (UVA) is a cultural organization and social enterprise committed to developing arts and culture projects geared towards social causes. Our mission is to leverage the power of the arts to promote civic education, good governance, human rights cultural diversity and the spirit of solidarity in Africa.
We produce works of art that address social, political, economic and environmental problems in Africa, using music, drama, visual arts, spoken word poetry and comedy. UVA helps artists and cultural practitioners to further develop their skills and managerial capacities. We design workshops and professional trainings in cultural advocacy, copyright protection, entrepreneurship, etc. UVA organizes concerts, talk shows and live performances that highlight social issues, create awareness and sensitize the public. We develop initiatives that encourage respect for cultural diversity and promote intercultural understanding.
About the Role
The Accountant is responsible for the accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, tax/statutory compliance of the organization. The position holder will put in place sound financial and accounting systems, controls, and standards. He/she will work with the management team to ensure accurate accounting and reporting, both internally and externally. In addition, the position holder will ensure compliance with organizational, statutory, and funders’ rules and requirements.
Successful candidate will supervise and provide feedbacks on tasks performed by Admin. staff relating to financial transactions.
- Prepare financial statements and all supporting documentation
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner
- clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements
- collate financial reporting materials for donors and oversee financial project/program and grants accounting
- Provide timely and reliable financial information to the management
- Review funders’ specific reports
- prepare financial information for management meetings
- Monitor and review tax and benefits registrations and requirements, including submissions of returns to tax authorities
- Responsible for the completion and filing of all statutory forms in a timely manner
Accounting Compliance, Control systems and procedures
- Devise effective and efficient financial systems and ensure adherence to policies and procedures to improve engagement with internal and external stakeholders
- Review, update and maintain the organization’s Finance manual as necessary; Maintain sound fiscal and accounting policies and procedures
- Ensure compliance with and implement changes in line with Nigerian legislations
- Develop and manage general ledger and fund accounting systems and procedures
- Review and interpret new accounting policies and apply approved recommendations
Budgetary Control & Cash Flow Monitoring
- Develop the organization’s annual and project budgets in collaboration with the Executive Producer
- Oversee expenditure against annual budget and monitor variances monthly
- Build and maintain systems, processes and procedures for tracking grant income, expenditure and allocating overheads
- Prepare grant financial reports in line with funders’ rules
- Responsible for preparing and overseeing the staff payroll on a monthly basis
- Receive, review and approve staff timesheets
- Review and check accuracy of payroll schedules
- Ensure payroll journals for all entities are prepared and posted on to the accounting system and balances reconciled in a timely manner
From time to time, the post holder will be required to carry out other duties that may reasonably be required and that fall within the scope and range of the job
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Highly numerate and able to analyze statistical information and interpret financial data to produce reports which can be understood by non-financial colleagues
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience performing accounting functions in Nigeria’s creative industry or SME or nonprofit sector
- Knowledge of Nigeria’s creative industry
- Experience in or knowledge of grant administration, grant accounting, compliance and reporting
- Familiarity with funders’ procedures
- Ability to translate financial concepts to and effectively collaborate with program colleagues on financial issues
- Comfortable working with internationally dispersed team and ability to work productively with others, including in team environments and across multiple locations, cultures and time zones
- Proficiency in Accounting Software and MS Excel at advanced level skills
- Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work and multitask under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work at both a detailed and strategic level
- Integrity and credibility
- Problem solving skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interest in arts and culture and civic engagements
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and other Microsoft Office applications
- Reliable and able to work independently
- Flexible and adaptable in various situations as well as good interpersonal skills
18 months Fixed Term contract (Renewable)
N300,000 – N380,000 monthly gross (inclusive of tax and health insurance)
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email their application to email@example.com
Application should comprise of the following two documents:
- A CV, not more than 3 pages, including educational and professional qualifications, employment history showing the most significant positions, responsibilities held, and relevant achievements
- A covering note of not more than 1 page outlining your motivation for applying for the role.
Deadline for applications: 31st October 2022.
Due to high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately, the organization is unable to provide feedbacks on individual applications. An applicant who has not received interview invitation three weeks after the closing date should please consider his/her application unsuccessful.