Unchained Vibes Africa invites applications from young emerging artists and cultural activists based in Nigeria to participate in the 2022/23 Freedom Vibes Academy. The Academy is a one-year program aimed at training and strengthening the advocacy capabilities of young socially and politically conscious artists and cultural activists to promote freedom of expression and democracy in the country. It builds on the achievements of the pilot Democracy Vibes Workshop organized in 2021.
FORMAT OF THE 2022/2023 ACADEMY
Freedom Vibes Academy will be organized in 3 phases as follows:
In-person Training in Lagos
The in-person training is a 3-day orientation and advocacy training in Lagos designed for emerging artists and cultural activists passionate about using their works for social change. Selected participants will attend practical and interactive workshops, discussion groups, and civic engagement activities facilitated by leading cultural policy experts, veteran artists, human right lawyers and civil society organization leaders from Nigeria and around the world to develop their advocacy capabilities, leadership skills and learn best practices. Through the training, participants will have the opportunity to network with other artists as well as veteran artists. This component of the Academy allows participants to engage in group cultural activities like performances and showcases.
In addition to the in-person training in Lagos, participants will also be engaged in monthly 2-3 hours of virtual mentoring and online meetings to further address questions arising from in-person training and deepen their understanding
Participants will work on individual projects that promote freedom of expression and democracy, focused on their own field of art for presentation/showcase or performance at Freedom Vibes events. Projects can be new or existing activities that can be recreated and showcased at Freedom Vibes.
At the end of the Academy, participants will be inducted into Freedom Vibes Alumni Network to promote artistic freedom and democracy in Nigeria.
- be between the ages of 20-35 years (age requirements may be waived for 2-3 candidates with impressive track record that can be shared with younger participants)
- be socially and politically conscious artists or cultural activists in the field of music, film, comedy, visual arts, theatre, literature/poetry, etc
- be living and working in Nigeria
- have a strong interest in and demonstrated commitment to addressing social and political issues using their creative talents
- have at least 3 work samples (songs, movies, comedy skits, literary works, theatre plays, drawings, paintings or other artistic expressions) that address social or political issues
- have technological capacity to participate in Zoom meetings/video calls (once in a month)
- be available to commit to 2-3 hours of online mentorship per month for 11 months
- Participants will gain skills on best practices in art and activism and will be exposed to local, regional and international opportunities to develop their works and promote democracy in Nigeria
- Each selected participant will receive a small per diem payment to cover incidental expenses during the in-person component in Lagos
- The program will cover transportation expenses for all selected participants. Return flights will be booked only for limited number of participants from outside Southwest region
- Hotel accommodation and feeding will be provided for all selected participants
- internet connectivity expenses will be covered for the virtual/online mentorship component to facilitate seamless participation
- Individual projects will be supported financially and honorarium will be paid for participants to showcase their works at Freedom Vibes events
Application deadline is 10 November 2022. Successful applicants will be notified in the last week of November 2022.
To submit application, follow the link below
Due to the large volume of applications for the limited number of slots available, some qualified applicants may not be selected; this in no way represents a negative evaluation of the applicant’s artistic practice. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately, the organization is unable to provide feedbacks on individual applications. An applicant who has not received interview invitation three weeks after the closing date should please consider his/her application unsuccessful. Unsuccessful applicants may reapply in future.
For enquiries, please email email@example.com